Storm Damage
Monday, August 27: Jane texted me and said, "Glorious sky! Go look if you haven't!" That got me out of our cave of an office to take a few photos. Sure enough. Crystal clear air and big white clouds filled my view.
I took some video of the sky, but mostly I recorded some of the damage from Sunday's storm.
I feel bad about how long it's been since I posted anything here. The Phare continues to be a great blessing. Today starts week two of the FORBIDEC (IBG) bible intensive. We have a couple professors with us from Geneva Bible Institute and 60 African students. One of the professors is an old friend and he had lots of encouraging news about their work up there and the new generation of church leaders arising in France. The students here seem to be enthusiastic. Beautiful music floats down to me now and then, and laughter.
The rain yesterday dumped an overwhelming amount of water on the city, testing all the drainage systems around town. The one out front of us, that has not even handled earlier rains, failed miserably. At this point our greatest worry is that until they create an adequate culvert for the traffic circle, escaping water will continue to attack our wall!
Of course, in context this is a small problem. There were several deaths in the country Sunday and others earlier in the month from collapsing walls and buildings. Still, it would be nice not to have to rebuild this bit!
Friday, August 31: Since Monday when I started this post, life got a little hectic and I set aside the rather time-consuming process of uploading video. Suddenly I realized it was Friday and I hadn't got back to this! Meanwhile, IBG has finished up their two weeks. As I type I am being serenaded with lovely worship songs coming from the conference room where they are doing their closing ceremonies. "Que Jesus soit loué (May Jesus be praised)," 100 young voices are singing.
Also, Patrice and a crew are up at the wall creating an erosion barrier on the corner of the wall. The weather service is calling for more large storms.
The word this week was that we received 6 1/2 inches of rain in 2 hours last Sunday, the most ever recorded in Dakar. Patrice says the radio is calling for another downpour that big this weekend. Let's hope they are wrong!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home