They're gone

I had hoped to be able to show you a photo of Nic and V from Australia, arrived victorious from the airport after a day of enduring in the airport. But I can't. They gave up on the process just as it was finally producing the needed permission. They're gone!
And we never even met.
All I can show you is this photo of Landing Sagna, the triumphant bureaucratic warrior, with the long sought-after "release."
And we never even met.
All I can show you is this photo of Landing Sagna, the triumphant bureaucratic warrior, with the long sought-after "release."
All day I took calls from Nic at the airport in a telephone booth and Landing in town at the Interior Ministry with his cell phone. Each time I would explain to the other the developing status of the situation. Poor Nic and V were subsisting on energy bars and bottled water. But he said they were in good condition and spirits. But, the seats in the corner where they were told to sit were pretty bad and... Oh, my. I was unsettled all day worrying about them. And Landing informed me early on that obtaining visas took 2 weeks by the normal process. He was pursuing the alternate route. But then the guy responsible for such things was absent. Then, the message was that he would see the chief of staff of the Minister and get a special dispensation, a release from the airport. But they would have to come back at 5. And, by the way, they needed a copy of someone's ID card. Mine being expired, we needed to get someone else's. We agree to meet at school where I had a planning meeting. He got their first and got a copy of Kathy's ID. At least, that way, I got to see Landing and exchange notes!
By 6, when I got home from a meeting at DA, Nic and V were thinking that perhaps God was trying to tell them to try another door. They had remembered that Gambia, being a
Commonwealth country, didn't require a visa of them. They were thinking perhaps they should head down there to pursue a visa. I encouraged them that in any case Landing would know very shortly. It's Ramadan. No one works late! But I also suggested he take the time to make inquiries and call me back in 30 minutes.
Immediately after that I got through finally to Landing. He didn't yet have the paper, but everything looked positive. I waited for Nic to call.
When he did, he said, "Mate, everything fell into place. It was amazing. We're boarding the plane now." Oh. Well, there it was. I wished him Godspeed and hung up. Minutes later, Landing called in triumph. He had the paper!
When I explained, his words were, "NO! Stop them!" But, of course, it was too late. Even if I had had a phone number to call, they already bought the tickets!
Rats!
Landing learned a lot and made good contacts at the Ministry. Nic and V have escaped their suffering in the airport. And me? Hmm...
Well, I suppose that I have been reminded quite strongly to take care of getting a new ID card. Landing says one of those government officials looked me up and saw that my card was expired!
Labels: visitors

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home