Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Another Busy Day at the Phare

It's another busy day here at the Phare de l'Esperance. The Alliance Biblique is here with 30 folks. They are meeting in the big conference room this week and next. Most of them are staying in the dormitory or in Louga (H). The group includes women and children, so the campus has a real family feel with little kids toddling around and laundry drying on the hedge!

This is a literacy training course. I think that they are learning how to do literacy classes in their villages, so it is teacher training in a sense.



At the same time Balla and his 7 "disciples" are hard at it over in the dormitory. They are using the last room on the left as a classroom. Each day they spend the morning studying a book of the Bible in depth. Well, some books take more time and others less, but on average one or so a day. They had just read a passage outloud when I took this shot from their newly minted Serer Bibles and Balla was posing a question (in Wolof) to see if they caught what was going on in the story.






As I came back from snapping that shot, I saw that the door to the ITES library was open. I peaked in and found two fellows working together on their theological studies. Hyacinthe, on the left, is the national director of Campus Crusade for Christ. I didn't ask which course they were working on, but ITES is near the end of its first semester, so I assume it was a final project of some sort!






Back in the UWM office were a couple of our own visitors. Daniel Liberek on the right is our regional leader. Todd Rankin is a UWM Board member. They are out here in Senegal with John Bernard, our mission president, for a visit and consultation. John got in on the red-eye from Atlanta, so he was sleeping this morning. Todd and Daniel came down from Europe late last night, so they were up and settled in for a visit while they waited for Rodney. He was in a committee meeting with the Church Planter Training Initiative in one of the apartments here.

Yep, lots of activity today.

Oh, and I didn't even mention Aaron and his guys working outside. Ndiaga and Jean Pierre were moving a rock pile!











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home